Is There Ground Heating to the Old Building?
With the arrival of winter months, warming is a problem for us in living spaces where we spend most of our lives, such as home and office. When we look at the energy costs in Turkey, the fact that the largest share of the distribution belongs to heating illustrates the problem. Therefore, especially in recent years, the issue of energy consumption and efficiency has been frequently occurring and alternative solutions are being tried to be produced. When creating alternative solutions, two solution options are discussed: to be able to hold the heat inside and to increase the heat inside. Today we will talk about an alternative solution that is produced in order to increase the heat inside: underfloor heating system. In this article, where we compile information about the underfloor heating system, we say, ‘What is the underfloor heating system? What are the Advantages and Disadvantages of Ground Heating? Can The Old Building Be Heated From the Ground? we will answer such questions.
What is a Ground Heating System?
Underfloor heating system is the system that distributes the temperature from the heat source under the ground with the piping systems laid on the ground. We can say that this system, which provides a proportional conventional heat dissipation due to the temperature of the ground, is the most suitable and comfortable heating system for human structure. Underfloor heating system provides a homogeneous heat distribution into the room due to its structure, there is no heat accumulation in the ceiling as in radiator systems.
This system, which is spreading rapidly in Europe, started to be used in Turkey after the 80s. However, since most buildings have heating, air conditioning or natural gas stove system, it was not preferred to build a new system on top of the existing one. Some of the buildings built after 80 were switched to the new system, but most of them continued to use old systems. Today, alternative routes have become the agenda again, both due to lack of energy resources and because of the cost of energy. The inadequate old and heating systems of buildings and structures in Turkey have raised the question of whether underfloor heating systems will be effective in the old building.
What are Ground Heating Systems?
- Watery Piped Underfloor Heating: It is one of the most used methods in underfloor heating systems. During the construction of the building or during the repair and renovation processes, the heating system is installed with pipes laid on the floor. The ends of the pipes laid on the floor meet in a collector and the desired parts of the area can be opened and closed from the collector. We cannot use this system in finished and open areas.
- Electric Underfloor Heating: You can install underfloor heating without major renovation of wired systems. In the three-layer electric underfloor heating system, the heat is accelerated upwards thanks to the insulated and reflective structure of the lowest layer. With this feature, the space can be heated in a much shorter time. You can differentiate your temperature settings in the daily or weekly one.
- Carbon Fiber Ground Heating: Carbon fiber is a system in which films are used by laying on bare floors or under carpets. It is the fastest reacting system among underfloor heating systems.
What are the Advantages and Disadvantages of Ground Heating?
Our parents and grandparents say that cold first legs enter the body, and when that’s the case, the first place we have to keep warm is our feet. Underfloor heating stands out for its quality and difference in heating systems. It provides better heat than the heating or natural gas stove system. It does not cover large places such as heaters or stoves, does not interfere with settlement in areas. For example, in summer, your seat in front of the heating or an item is moved to another place, considering that it will block the heat in winter. Underfloor heating systems provide ease of domestic use and minimize heating problems. Heating problems can also be solved by underfloor heating to the old building. Of course, underfloor heating systems, like everything else, have advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages of Ground Heating
- With the homogeneous distribution of temperature horizontally and vertically in a space with underfloor heating, all sides of the room heat up evenly. There is no problem of being warmer near the honeycombs experienced in the heating system
- In heating systems, boiler water temperatures should be between 70 and 90 degrees, while in the underfloor heating system, the boiler water temperature does not exceed 50 degrees. It saves energy.
- Since underfloor heating systems are under the floorboards, it gives a freedom in the use of space. It does not interfere with the use of any space, but also allows you to get rid of the heating system, which is not pleasing to the eye and can be especially dangerous for children.
- You will find that the system does not need frequent maintenance as in the heating, provided that the underfloor heating system is made of quality. It will allow you to avoid especially costly maintenance fees.
- The underfloor heating system does not require domestic air circulation. Since there is no air circulation in the underfloor heating system, you can protect yourself more from respiratory ailments and allergic diseases.
Disadvantages of Ground Heating
- The biggest disadvantage of underfloor heating systems is heating times. Heating doesn’t happen all of a sudden. During this time when the ground is also effective, you may need to plan to warm up.
- When you install underfloor heating in your house, you may not have to cover the floor. Just like a rug thrown on the heater, you should know that the rug on the ground can have the opposite effect on heating.
- Since the heating time will take a long time when it is closed and reopened, you may have to burn it at a low level all winter long.
Can The Old Building Be Heated From the Ground?
You see that the advantages we count outweigh the disadvantages. If, after evaluating the advantages and disadvantages of the system, you decide to get underfloor heating on the old building, there are some things that you need to know and pay attention to.
As a requirement of the building laws, leakage current relay is mandatory in a building where underfloor heating system will be installed. As a result of the checks, the building is licensed. No matter how old or new the buildings with licenses, the owners, electricians or heating system can be laid on the ground by the swirl. In case of possible electrical leakage, a controlled power outage minimizes the risks of problems in other methods such as fires or natural gas leakage in buildings. Such permits need to be checked in the building when underfloor heating is carried out on the old building.
Once your building’s electricity is controlled and legally approved, what you need to do is to get the dimensions of the rooms correctly and contact the company that makes the underfloor heating system. We recommend that installations be carried out by companies in order to make your underfloor heating system both more accurate and smooth and long-lasting in your old building.
How to Heat the Old Building From the Ground?
If your house is under renovation and you can spend a long time, you can make all kinds of underfloor heating to the old building. With the building under renovation and the floor breaking, a watery or electric system can be installed under the floor. What kind of ground we will use on the other point that we need to consider in a scenario where we want to use the watery or electric system and we can get them done. We know that solids are much better at heat transmission than the other two substances. Only solids have different thermal resistance within themselves. As you can see in the table below, marble and ceramic tiles are the least thermal resistance. Therefore, we can say that another thing to consider after making your decision to heat the old building from the ground is the floor. We can say that the flooring of the floor will be marble and ceramic in accordance with the heat transmission.
If you don’t have the time and budget for a wide renovation process when heating your old building from the ground up, you can consider electric and carbon fiber underfloor heating systems that can be applied more easily for your home.
You can reach our previous article via https://www.isitmax.com/yerden-isitma-temizligi-nasil-olmali/ link.